June 16, 2016

Attention Captains

A piece of advice to those men and women who captain USTA Teams of the 4.0 level and higher....

More often than not, pairing up your stronger players with weaker players DOES NOT WORK.  

"You may ask, "why Bob!?!?"

I'm glad you asked !!!

At the 4.0-4.5 level, opponents have developed the Tennis IQ and accompanying skills to TORMENT THE WEAKER OPPONENT.

Captains, I beg of you, Don't put your players through this.  The targeted player ends up feeling like they are letting their team mate down and the stronger player feels helpless and doesn't get a chance to play ! 

I don't normally make a habit of publicly commenting on such issues, but I feel I must speak-up when I witness players getting picked-on in a match-up that is doomed from the first point played. 

Even in victory, it feels like defeat.